Re: Effective discourse in the IETF

On 7/3/19 7:44 PM, Salz, Rich wrote:

    If a speaker withholds useful input because he/she perceives it would be
     impolite, or taken as impolite, that impedes IETF's goals.
    If people suppress useful input because they perceive it as impolite,
     that also impedes IETF's goals.
    If an audience discredits useful input because he/she perceives it as
     impolite, that also impedes IETF's goals.
Have you seen evidence of that happening? I haven't.

Yes, I've seen numerous examples of each of the above.

  I have seen things go the other way and people trying to excuse needless impoliteness because that's the best way to get a frank exchange of views.  Baloney.  There are multiple aspects to consider in getting a frank exchange of views, and working to include everyone is my preference.

We appear to agree in the sense that we both want to make sure everyone is able to air their views.

Keith