Re: Evolving Documents (nee "Living Documents") side meeting at IETF105.

On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 1:10 PM Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 7/3/19 4:04 PM, Warren Kumari wrote:

> Hi there all,
>
> TL;DR: Being able to mark a specific version of an *Internet Draft* as
> “stable” would often be useful. By encoding information in the name
> (stable-foo-bar-00) we can do this.
>
> Heather and I will be holding a side meeting at IETF 105 to discuss
> the idea and get feedback.
> When: Tue, July 23, 3:00pm – 4:30pm
> Where: C2 (21st Floor)

It seems to me that this would defeat the entire purpose of
Internet-Drafts and serve to circumvent the IETF process.    There
should be no expectation of stability until a document has reached
IETF-wide consensus.

Great, please come to the side meeting and we can try better explain the use case. I thought I’d better described the use case further down in the mail, but it seems I may have failed...  This specifically allows the WG to point at a version of a document that external type people can implement against **while** still allowing the working group to make changes, etc. If anything this allows the WG to make more changes because it (hopefully) removes some of the “we cannot change this bit because someone may have implemented against it” concern.

But, it’s entirely possible that this is just a bad idea, please come to the side meeting...

I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad idea in the first place.
This is like putting rabid weasels in your pants, and later expressing regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair of pants.
   ---maf