Re: RFC Editor model

Hiya,

Just on this bit...

On 26/06/2019 23:09, Carsten Bormann wrote:
> and do we want to address this and/or our expectations of the RSE’s
> job and the RFC publication series as a whole.
I think it'd be great to know if the community really
do or do not want to consider these questions. (It's
very clear some people do want some changes. It's far
from clear to me at least that there's some form of
consensus for any one change.)

However, we probably oughtn't expect too much too soon.
Sarah will know better than I, but given the timeframe
in which we'll need a new RSE, I'd be shocked if the
community could properly process those questions in time
for that. In fact more than shocked, I just don't believe
it:-)

If you work back from Jan 1 2020 to the time when an RFP
will need to go out then I'm sure you'll quickly see that
we really don't have time for a proper community process
before this RFP iteration. (RSOC folks are figuring out
the details at the moment IIUC and they and/or Ted, as
IAB chair, will send mail soon about that.)

Put another way, given the timeframe, the next RSE will
be appointed according to current processes without any
substantive change to the role, and we still won't know
if the community do or do not want changes to the RSE
role whilst that process is running.

So, while your question above is a great one that I do
think we need to figure out how to finally clarify, it'll
take a while and any results won't have immediate effect.

Cheers,
S.