Re: Rights in early RFCs

On 6/16/19 4:24 AM, Joel M. Halpern wrote:

The Trust Legal Provisions give everyone the right to "to copy, publish, display and distribute unmodified portions of IETF Contributions and IETF Documents".  That seems pretty clear to me.  They have to attribute it properly.  And they have to keep our legends.  (Which they may not have gotten quite right, and is one of the things the trust will need to make sure they do get right.)

Given that the wording says "portions", I do not see that we can complain about their copying several portions.

I believe there's still a distinction between copying/publishing/etc. "portions", and creating a derivative work.   Changing the meaning of the quoted text is arguably producing a derivative work.

Keith