Re: Rights in early RFCs

On 6/16/19 1:26 AM, Joel M. Halpern wrote:

I think there are two separate issues.

First, the way they structured their profile, they were making verbatim quotes, and then putting there own text around taht.  As far as I can tell, in terms of our copyright rules, we have said they have the right to do that.  I believe the trust will have to tell them that they have those rights.

I'm not sure that's actually true.   What's fairly clear (for various reasons) is that they are free to reproduce the document in its entirety.   It's not clear (to me at least) that they are free to produce derivative works.   As for quoting, they may have some right to do that in the US under fair use doctrine, but only for specific purposes and within certain boundaries.   And the boundaries of fair use are for the courts to decide, not the trust.

Keith