Re: Call for Community Input: Web Analytics on www.ietf.org

Hiya,

On 22/05/2019 21:49, Roman Danyliw wrote:
>> - Does this constitute tracking behaviour? The current privacy
>> policy [2] says we don't do that.
> My read is no.
>
> [3] says that "tracking is the collection of data regarding a
> particular user's activity across multiple distinct contexts and the
> retention, use, or sharing of data derived from that activity outside
> the context in which it occurred. A context is a set of resources
> that are controlled by the same party or jointly controlled by a set
> of parties."
>
> *.ietf.org servers are single context controlled by the same party
> (IETF).  The proposed implementation plan is a self-hosted solution
> which does indeed collect activity data but NOT across "multiple,
> distinct contexts".

(Re-)identification over time would I guess represent "multiple
distinct contexts." If you geo-locate the addresses e.g. at a
country level then that's not anonymous - .mu and .ie would not
be hard to translate into people's names given the relevant
population sizes. These are just more reasons to minimise the
data being collected and stored. (Did I already say I'd go for
zero of both? :-) And while I'm sure the IESG would be aware
of that, these things can get lost between the people who want
it done a certain way and the people who end up doing the doing
who may be more used to customers being more invasive than us;-)

S.