RE: Call for Community Input: Web Analytics on www.ietf.org

Hi Stephen!

A few answers below.

I'll have to follow-up later with the details.

> - Do the IESG plan to evaluate the utility of this
>   with the possibility to ditch it if it doesn't
>   in fact tell us something useful? If so, when?
>   How will you decide if it's worth keeping?

In the "Implementation" section the proposal notes that "[f]ollowing finalization and implementation of the proposal, ...  the web analytics and reports will be reviewed by the IETF Tools Team after one-year to confirm they are delivering anticipated results."  The IETF Tools Team will bring a recommendation to the IESG.  Whether these analytics are worth keeping will be determined by whether they informed site improvement (as outlined in the "Introduction" section).

> - Will this new information be shared with anyone
>   else (e.g. ISOC as allowed for in [2]).

The proposal outlines that the "IETF Secretariat, communications staff, and the IESG" will get access through an "analytics data dashboard"; and a "publicly-available summary of analytics data will be explored" to improve upon https://www.ietf.org/usagedata/.

I'll have to follow-up on the additional users (ISOC) implied by [2].

> - Does this constitute tracking behaviour? The
>   current privacy policy [2] says we don't do that.

My read is no.

[3] says that "tracking is the collection of data regarding a particular user's activity across multiple distinct contexts and the retention, use, or sharing of data derived from that activity outside the context in which it occurred. A context is a set of resources that are controlled by the same party or jointly controlled by a set of parties."

*.ietf.org servers are single context controlled by the same party (IETF).  The proposed implementation plan is a self-hosted solution which does indeed collect activity data but NOT across "multiple, distinct contexts".

> - To whom should I send my GDPR subject data access
>   request? I guess privacy@xxxxxxxx is it?

Correct.

Roman

[3] https://www.w3.org/TR/tracking-dnt/