Re: deprecating Postel's principle - considered harmful

On 5/10/19 2:56 PM, Doug Royer wrote:

With iCalendar for example, there is more than one way to represent the same event. It is ambiguous and you have to examine other implementations objects to see how they do things. Then add code to also accept their way. Every time I try to point it out, it quickly escalates into a 'which way is better / you don't understand'. Which is implementer shorthand for "you change your code, I will not".

iCalendar may have been doomed from the start because every calendar app vendor had its own dysfunctional way of representing events before iCalendar existed, and few (if any) were willing to change.

Also, it's been hard to escape the impression that some of those glitches were deliberate by at least one vendor, that wanted to be able to claim standards compatibility without actually being effectively interoperable.

I think SMTP needs a major overhaul. I am afraid of the noise generated from such a draft.

Now there's a scary thought.

Keith