Re: deprecating Postel's principle - considered harmful

He was not wrong. When Jon sent that email, the topic was mildly conflicting email systems. And it was referring to accepting something you know to be good, or not up to the latest spec. In fact that spec (maybe it was a draft) had 'accept' and 'generate' sections. It specified what was acceptable to 'accept'. You accepted option A or option B, but when sending out email, generate option B only.

I remember his comments to mean plan the migration and specify it in writing.

Sometimes I find mild bugs in the other endpoints implementation. So I tweak my code to accept their bug when I recognize their implementation. Networking code is full of 'bug compatibility switches'. Hopefully fewer over time.

As to draft-iab-protocol-maintenance-03:

I understand the robustness principle to mean, plan ahead and plan a migration from an old protocol to a newer one. The draft seem to be implying it means be able to read garbage when it arrives and not crash.
Which is a good programming goal, and a lousy protocol plan.

--

Doug Royer - (http://DougRoyer.US)
Douglas.Royer@xxxxxxxxx