Re: [tsvwg] travel funds for ietf for the next SCE talk?

On Fri, 10 May 2019, Mary B wrote:
So, we can say too bad for my company for not approving travel early, but it's double edged sword in that if it's costing more to send me to meetings, they're less likely to want to send me to meetings. And, right now, our travel is highly scrutinized up the chain. And, I don't think I'm a one off.

When I was on the IAOC (until a few months ago ) we didn't set the fees and deadlines arbitrarily. The farther ahead we can predict our registrations, the better we can manage our costs. We know that some companies aren't very good at planning ahead but there's not much we can do about that.

In this particular case, I would think that the extra costs of buying last minute plane tickets would be at least as much as the difference in registration costs. Or if you're feeling optimistic, you can get 90% of your registration fee back until the day before the meeting starts, so register at the early bird rate and if you can't go you're only out $70.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxxx, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY