Re: AD Sponsorship of draft-moonesamy-recall-rev

On Sun, Apr 21, 2019 at 12:35 PM Salz, Rich <rsalz@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  If one were trying to disrupt the IETF, mount a DoS
    attack, or impose large costs on the community, the need to work
    that far in advance would be a significant deterrent given that
    other, faster and easier mechanisms are readily available.

There are national-scale attackers which probably find it cheap to get people doing this.

Exactly.  Sock puppets are used to carry out this type of attack with one person acting as tens of personas.  Bots have also been quite effective, with it taking multiple angles to detect that they are a bot (not trivial).

It's not a threat model I worry about but YMMV.

I'm not either as the cost may be too high now, but that may not persist for too much longer.  "Like War" is an interesting read on this topic.

--

Best regards,
Kathleen