Re: exploring the process of self retiring one's name from an RFC

On 20-Apr-19 03:22, Eric Rescorla wrote:
> Without taking a position on this specific case, it seems like there
> are some interesting questions here.
>
> Consider the hypothetical case where I falsely obtain an RFC in the
> name of some other person (don't worry about how, say they are on
> sabbatical and I guess their password). They then rightly object to
> the RFC being in their name. What do we do? I'm guessing the answer
> is going to be "withdraw the RFC and issue a new one without that
> author and with a different number"?

If such a blatant abuse happened, I've no doubt that the RFC Editor
would act appropriately. "Do the right thing", as Spencer reminds us.

But in this particular case, I could go back through email to find the
bits that Alexandre contributed. The document was intentionally
written as factual analysis, at a given point in time, and not as
a recommendation. It's part of the historical record.

The place for change is draft-ietf-6man-rfc4291bis, which is in
limbo since we haven't found consensus.

   Brian