Re: cultural sensitivity towards new comers

I feel that some take the call to be professional and civil to mean only
missives of positivity are allowed.  That is not what is being asked of
us.  To be blunt -- it's not what You say, it's how You say it.

It is possible to be professional and civil and have a vigorous debate,
and I believe that debate is not just accepted but encouraged.  As a
starting point, consider if the language in use is criticizing the
proposal, or if it's criticizing the person.  Calling an idea bad, or
ugly, or harmful can be acceptable and valid criticisms; calling someone
bad for their idea, or harmful for their idea is not.  Even if someone
continues to bring out bad or harmful ideas, it's more constructive to
argue the merits (or lack thereof) than to point to a person and they
never have good ideas.

This is only a starting point.  Developing some modicum of empathy for
the people in the discussion goes further.  Consider that the vast
majority of us are not in this argument for truly malicious reasons, and
rather try to at least consider where they are coming from.  That
doesn't mean agreeing or accepting their position, but it does mean
acknowledging that is the position they are coming from and it is most
often not to do harm for the sake of doing harm.

In all this, I have deliberately not used the word polite.  I find that
word to be ambiguous; has different meanings for different people -- and
even for different contexts.  Professional and civil, while still vague,
seem to me to have a more common meaning in our global society.

- m&m

Matthew A. Miller
(speaking only as an individual)