Re: cultural sensitivity towards new comers

"In IETF, it is MORE IMPORTANT to point out potential problems associated with a proposal, than to withhold such input for fear of seeming rude.   It's even an obligation if the consequences seem important.   Even if you don't believe you have the status necessary to question the judgment of that person.  Even if you might be wrong.  Even if your voice shakes"

And even if it completely destroys your subsequent career prospects!

Lloyd Wood lloyd.wood@xxxxxxxxxxx http://about.me/lloydwood

From: Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ietf@xxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, 28 March 2019, 8:10
Subject: cultural sensitivity towards new comers

[Not in reply to any specific message, because I don't want this to read like an accusation against anyone who has participated in this thread.   It's not.]
I believe that an insistence on politeness in IETF would likely have tragic consequences.
For one thing, politeness differs from one culture to another.  What's polite in one culture is rude in another.   It's all well and good to be sensitive to other people's cultural assumptions (as well as one's own), but sometimes those assumptions don't serve IETF's purpose well.  For example, we don't need a social hierarchy in IETF that protects those who are older, or more experienced in IETF, or holding leadership positions, or working for big companies, from having their judgment questioned.   (And yet I've see people in IETF withhold criticism for many of these reasons.)
So if we're trying to make IETF less hostile to newcomers, and/or to people who have different presumptions of politeness and rudeness, we should talk in terms of specific behaviors and speech patterns rather than presume that "politeness" means the same thing to everyone.   It doesn't.
Also, I've seen so many examples where an expectation of "politeness" was used to protect abusive people, and/or to manipulate people into agreeing to things that were harmful (including in IETF but not exclusively there), that I've become very skeptical of demands for politeness.
At first hearing, such expectations sound reasonable.   What could be wrong with politeness?   Most of the time, nothing..   It's when politeness is expected or demanded, when it becomes more important than the integrity of our work, that it becomes a problem.   Manipulative people will construct their arguments in such a way that it seems impolite to object, no matter how harmful their demands might be.  Yes, even in IETF.
In IETF, it is MORE IMPORTANT to point out potential problems associated with a proposal, than to withhold such input for fear of seeming rude.   It's even an obligation if the consequences seem important.   Even if you don't believe you have the status necessary to question the judgment of that person.  Even if you might be wrong.  Even if your voice shakes.

Of course, you should try to do that respectfully.  But it's better to be blunt than to not speak up at all.   This is vital.
Keith
p.s. A colleague expressed this in private mail and I hope he doesn't mind me repeating this here.  It's been reported that Boeing designed the 737MAX stability augmentation firmware to only read one angle-of-attack sensor for each flight, alternating between left-and-right on successive flights.  I hope this report is in error, but for the purpose of this example I'll assume it's accurate.   Of all of the aeronautical engineers which must surely have been involved in the design and review of the 737MAX firmware, it's hard for me to believe that nobody noticed that using the angle-of-attack sensors in this way was actually less reliable than using a single sensor - because the alternating behavior would mask failures and create more opportunities for such failures to result in catastrophe.   I sincerely hope that the culture at Boeing, and every other aircraft manufacturer, is to encourage calling attention to potential safety issues even when, say, this involves calling a superior or more senior person's judgment into question, and there's no penalty for doing so even if one is wrong.  But if the report turns out to be true, I hope a lot of attention is paid to the safety culture at Boeing and other aircraft manufacturers also.