Re: voting rights in general

Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> That said, I readily admit that as IETF attempts to be hospitable to a more
> diverse set of people (which is what we need to be doing), it may paradoxically
> require us to be less diverse in what we as a community consider acceptable
> behavior.

I think your point here is important.  More and more science is emerging
that shows crowd diversity is critical to creating novel, optimal and
widely useful solutions.  As a IETF Guides co-lead, I've received
feedback at certain IETFs from newcomers that were not interested in
returning due to some of the dialog they were exposed to, which is
certainly not ideal.

A counter argument or technical issue should be able to stand upon its
foundational logic and merits regardless of how it is presented.  In
other words, rude arguments should have no greater weight than nicely
phrased ones.  I think sometimes people seem to struggle to create terse
statements that aren't simultaneously considered rude, but I don't
believe terse and polite are mutually exclusive.
--
Wes Hardaker
USC/ISI