Re: voting rights in general

On 3/25/19 5:57 PM, Stan Kalisch wrote:
On Mon, Mar 25, 2019, at 5:23 PM, Keith Moore wrote:

On 3/25/19 5:13 PM, Stan Kalisch wrote:

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019, at 5:00 PM, Keith Moore wrote:
Different people have different ideas about what "unpleasant" means.

They do, but what is significant is the common, shared subset of those ideas within a community.  That subset alone can significantly determine who is part of a community, and who is not.
Agreed.  However, some people are accustomed to environments in which criticism of one's technical ideas is interpreted as personal criticism by the one expressing such ideas and/or by others.

Indeed. But what periodically mystifies me about the IETF (not that this is necessarily unique to this organization) is that you would think it could exercise some kind of collective aptitude to focus on those rigorous, sometimes necessarily blunt technical arguments to the general exclusion of the more grandiose, melodramatic indictments a number of people like to make of the thought processes and consciousness of other participants.

We are collectively involved in the building the most elaborate distributed system in history, and are constantly fighting difficult problems of scale.   People who have been at this awhile can hardly be blamed either for a bit of frustration, or for trying to generalize about the sources of such frustration.

However it might be worthwhile to seek more effective ways of both communicating these observations, and incorporating such feedback into our design and architecture.

Keith