Re: voting rights in general

--On Sunday, 24 March, 2019 22:44 +1300 Brian Carpenter
<brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That's *exactly* why rough consensus on technical decisions in
> the IETF is required to be based on mailing list discussion,
> since forever. (Also why we dont have voting!) But when it
> gets to picking humans for jobs, or - worse - ejecting them
> from jobs, it's always been assumed that some degree of
> personal knowledge is needed. That isnt sacred writ, but there
> are obvious issues in changing it - e.g. echo chamber effects
> in online discourse.

Brian,

Completely agree up to a point, but let's make a distinction on
the eject side.  You know this but, to be clear about what we
are talking about, there are three steps in that process in
terms of participation qualifications: (1) Generating a petition
and submitting it to the ISOC President, (2) A recall committee
that determines whether someone should be, in your words,
ejected, (3) The Nomcom to determine a replacement.

Now, for the Nomcom and probably the recall committee, there is
a case to be made for personal knowledge although it is becoming
less clear that can only be obtained f2f or that the current
Nomcom requirements are the best we can do, especially for
people with a long participation and f2f meeting history who
have been attending f2f less often in recent years (including,
e.g., you and me).

But, for initiating or endorsing a petition. it seems to me that
the only personal experience that is necessary is knowledge of
whatever the problem is that is believed to justify kicking
someone out.  To me, arguing that requires frequent meeting
participation would be fairly close to arguing that someone who
is not attending three of five meetings cannot use the
anti-harassment procedures because, being remote, they can't be
harassed or otherwise abused.  At present, a person in that
position cannot initiate a recall without organizing twenty
people who are frequent meeting attendees and otherwise
nomcom-eligible.  That is hard because they don't have the
personal experience and contacts for which nomcom eligibility is
a surrogate, precisely because they are not attending meetings.
There are words for that sort of arrangement, and they aren't
very nice.

best,
   john