Re: [dmarc-ietf] I18ndir last call review of draft-ietf-dmarc-eaiauth-03

On Tue, 20 Mar 2019, Martin J. Dürst wrote:
What do we call mail that's not EAI mail?

Maybe just that, 'non-EAI mail'? Or something like "mail that needs the
SMTPUTF8 extension for transmission"? Or "mail with non-ASCII addresses"?

Non-EAI seems simple enough.

It's not ASCII mail, since non-EAI messages can contain any character sets you want in the message body.

And in comments in headers, if properly encoded.

With 8BITMIME, which is supported by pretty much every MTA in the world, UTF-8 message bodies don't need to be encoded. They can include literal UTF-8 or any other character set that interprets ASCII CR/LF as CR/LF.

I have an updated version of the draft, will post it once the window reopens.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxxx, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY