Haptics and Latency was Re: Finding the appropriate work stream for draft-nottingham-for-the-users

A comment combining haptics and latency, based on a real-world example.
Bear with me here while I go through it.

Microsoft introduced a gliding text cursor animation that leverages graphics
cards, and Looks Cool. Problem is, it completely messes up touch typists
by adding lag to their internal feedback loops, as the drawing of typed
characters now lags behind what is typed. Disabling this animation can be done
on a per-Office app basis or systemwide, but keeping it disabled (along
with other animations as side-effects), and that it's on by default or
even exists in the first place, are issues if you can type fast.

Usual user interface features-that-shouldn't-be morass, and it's
quite amazing how word processing continues to get worse thanks to teams
of dedicated developers, none of whom can apparently type.

https://superuser.com/questions/989951/is-it-possible-to-disable-smooth-movement-of-the-cursor-in-office-2013-windows-1
https://support.office.com/en-ie/article/turn-off-office-animations-9ee5c4d2-d144-4fd2-b670-22cef9fa025a
etc.

you get the idea.

Now, in taking this up with Microsoft, I got to go through multiple
levels of support who wanted to 'see the problem' and I had to explain,
again and again, that no, screen sharing wasn't good enough to
see the problem, because the network and refresh rate was simply
incapable of being fast enough to even show the animation, never
mind how I reacted to it as a touchtypist, and did they know any
touchtypists they could try it out on on a local copy of the apps
and operating system?

"you actually need to send the whole screen within the latency+reaction time."

and that clearly can't be done in this case. Current technology
simply isn't good enough.

"latencies where the laws of physics are the only significant factor"

and this is a deliberate design counterexample, sitting on your
desktop right now.

L.

(I think the nottingham draft should be informational. It sounds
more like a W3C aspirational text. And the grammar in the first para
of section 2 is terrible.)

Lloyd Wood lloyd.wood@xxxxxxxxxxx http://about.me/lloydwood