Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-iasa2-consolidated-upd-07.txt> (Consolidated IASA 2.0 Updates of IETF Administrative Terminology) to Best Current Practice

I'm not Jason or Jon but...

On 15-Mar-19 10:24, S Moonesamy wrote:
> Hi Jason, Jon,
>
> Please see the message at
> https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ietf/x4vWrIVJ172DjD-3sb-R_1jUHFY
> Could the IASA20 working group please provide a response to the
> Last-Call comments?
>
> Adding to my previous comments, the "Executive Director" title would
> create some confusion as the person holding the position is not a
> director of the LLC Board.  The title of "Managing Director" does not
> make the distinction between Managing Director and LLC Director clear.
>
>  From what I understand the draft updates RFC 6072 because of a title
> which comes from the reference in RFC 6072 to an obsoleted RFC
> (3979).  Why does RFC 6072 have to be updated by this (intended) BCP
> when it is not even part of the "Note Well"?

You mean 6702. The answer is that a reader of 6702 (which is not obsolete
and is cited, e.g. in https://www.ietf.org/standards/process/informal/ )
might find the reference to "the Executive Director of the IETF"
and try to contact the wrong person. (Admittedly, only a sophisticated
reader who knows to look for updates will do this, but that's because
of the RFC archival policy.)

Why would we leave known errors in RFCs?

> I took a quick look at some of the other BCPs related to the
> IETF.  One of them states that "there is no board of directors for
> the IETF".  That definition is likely  "historic".

It's still true. IETF LLC has a board, but the IETF doesn't.

The phrase seems to be in two RFCs, of which RFC4677 is already obsolete.
RFC3233 hardly mentions administration, so there is really nothing wrong
with it IMHO. Even this:

>                              The Internet Society provides many services
>    to the IETF, including insurance and some financial and logistical
>    support.

is still true, since IETF LLC is a disregarded entity of ISOC.

Regards
   Brian