Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-iasa2-consolidated-upd-07.txt> (Consolidated IASA 2.0 Updates of IETF Administrative Terminology) to Best Current Practice

(top post, partially about a more general issue)

Subramanian,

Since you addressed this to me, let me respond, at least in part.

First, I made it very clear throughout almost the entire process
that I volunteered to take on this document because observed,
and apparently convinced the WG, that completely replacing a
long list of documents in order to correct a few words such as a
job title--but generally not the underlying model-- was likely
to cause far more work and confusion than updating them in place
by a document that could be summarized as "if you read 'IETF
Executive Director' in anything published before the IASA2
transition started, something else is most likely intended and
here is where you go to check if that intent isn't clear".  But
I have been acting strictly as editor -- when the WG, as
interpreted by the co-chair or some other authority, has told me
to change something, I have.

Since version-00 of the I-D was posted in mid-November, document
references and changes have been added to the I-D and taken back
out, documents have been listed as obsoleted and moved out of
that category, advice has been given to make some documents
Historic and then removed, etc.  The Change Log (which I just
noticed contains one nasty typo) reflects those changes at a
moderately detailed level and may prove instructive.

As particular examples, because one of the documents was
generated by the IAB, the decision was made that it should be
updated only by the IAB and not by an IETF-stream document.  And
I was instructed by the responsible AD and the author of one of
those long-untouched Experimental RFCs (who happens to be IAB
Chair) that it was inappropriate for this document to make those
(or even request that they be made) Historic because evaluating
and/or documenting the outcome of old experiments was not the
WG's job.  Most of those decisions were reflected in messages to
the WG list.

Because I was (and am) simply acting as editor, what I think
about those changes and whether they were appropriate or not is
mostly irrelevant.  So, if you have concerns, please take them
up with the WG and those who led, steered, and directed it.

As a personal aside, I think there are two theories about a
document like this, and ultimately the WG, whose intent as I've
understood it is to tidy up, and as necessary document, the
effects of recent (in this case, IETF LLC and IASA2.0) changes.
One, with which I mostly started, was to do that tidying,
interpret the charter intent broadly if needed, use the document
to minimize the need for extra work, get special signoffs on
specific provisions if needed and reflect those actions, and to
publish and move on.  The other is to interpret the WG's charter
narrowly and decide that, if an action is not within that scope,
a separate document and separate action (assuming action is
appropriate) is needed.  While I had a personal preference
coming into this, it may be rooted more in my view of IETF
historical patterns and behavior (a view that may be distorted
by my particular vision) than in present realities.  I'm trying
to not even have an opinion about which of those theories is a
better match for the IETF and the readership of the RFC Series
as it has evolved and is continuing to evolve.   The document at
this point is, IMO, closer to the second model than the first
one, but not all the way there.

If, as editor, I've misinterpreted instructions from the WG, by
all means question that.  But, otherwise, remember that I'm just
the holder of the virtual pen.  And, as editor, I believe I can
report that everything, or substantially everything, on your
list was the result of explicit decisions.

best,
   john

--On Thursday, March 14, 2019 08:26 -0700 S Moonesamy