Re: Self-service tooling requires fine-grained authz -- it's NOT about the application protocol (was Re: (internal) DNS dysfunction is enterprise settings)

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 11:55:11PM -0400, Keith Moore wrote:
> On 3/11/19 11:48 PM, Nico Williams wrote:
> > > There are several problems, some of which are interrelated.   I am not
> > > insistent that any of them be fixed by protocol changes, though I suspect
> > > that some changes and/or new protocol work would be desirable.  I also
> > > suspect that some new tooling is desirable.   I also suspect that some
> > > policy changes might be appropriate.   And perhaps some operational
> > > recommendations.
> > The IETF doesn't build tooling.  Just protocols (and APIs, though some
> > will nay-say that in 3, 2, ...).
>
> I don't think it should be forbidden to discuss problems observed with DNS
> and to try to understand which measures would effectively address those
> problems, even while understanding we're not going to produce all of those
> fixes within IETF.   For those parts of the solution which we'd normally
> consider beyond our scope, documenting what we think those parts might look
> like could still be a valuable contribution.   And IETF people know people
> who can get some of these things done.

I... didn't suggest anything should be forbidden!  We should certainly
describe desirable tools.

Maybe the IETF should get in the business of building open source
implementations of things that aren't necessary to conducting the IETF's
business.  That it certainly doesn't today is just an observation.

Nico