(internal) DNS dysfunction is enterprise settings

I am top-quoting a bit to introduce. I started a new thread and severed
the references/in-reply-to chain from my message about /.well-known.

Keith makes what I first felt was a very controversial and unsupportable
claim about DNS vs services.  DNS has been widely successful at the Internet
scale.  On the other hand, I happened to be in the offices of a ccTLD
this week doing some non-DNS work.  I happened to be within earshot of
a support person answering the same question about why the ccTLD couldn't fix
the caller's web site/domain...   So maybe it's not so succesful if the
complex web-server/DNS-server/registrar/ccTLD relationship is still opaque
to so many.

Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > The last thing we need is even more use of DNS[*] to locate
    > services. DNS is too often out of sync with reality as it is. A really
    > unfortunate consequence of using DNS for service discovery results from
    > a tendency to centralize DNS administration within an organization,
    > even if (as is often the case) hosts and applications are administered
    > in a distributed fashion. In any organization large enough to have an
    > administrative hierarchy, this is a profoundly dysfunctional
    > arrangement. It gives the central DNS administration a huge amount of
    > ability to break things (whether due to incompetence, poor
    > communication, or petty turf wars - usually some of all of these),
    > whereas the very nature of such an organization makes it almost
    > impossible for them to get things right. Using DNS for SD in a
    > widespread fashion only exacerbates the problem.

It seems that you are arguing for a technology fix to a management problem.
(the "why we can't have nice things" lament comes to mind)

I'm not saying any of your reasons are wrong!  I have observed some of all of
what you point to.    It seems therefore that any proposed technological fix
needs to do a clear analysis of the management issues around IT
(not just specifically around DNS).

I know that the initial DNS-SD effort was thought to be going to be just mDNS
with proxies at the gateways.  We didn't go there: are you thinking about
something like that?

    > Part of the problem is the too-common notion that there are "public"
    > names and "local" names, meaning that the DNS name space is polluted
    > with names
    > that aren't in the hierarchy. A separate, though related, problem is that
    > there's no architected way to distinguish one from the other.

    > [*] By "DNS" here I mean the naming hierarchy, which is of course
    > related to the data model.

I agree with your description above.

]     mcr@xxxxxxxxxxxx  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [

--