Re: (internal) DNS dysfunction is enterprise settings

On 3/10/19 1:32 PM, Michael Richardson wrote:

     > Yes, but there are zillions of SOHO routers deployed that still implement
     > such blocks in firmware, are unlikely to be updated, and will be replaced
     > only slowly.

SOHO routers are not enterprises, and most do rather fine today with mDNS.

And homenet is making progress for front-end naming under the end-user's
control.  So, this is a red herring.

I emphatically disagree with the idea that there should be different protocols for different kinds of IP networks.   That's something we should be fighting as much as possible because it degrades interoperability.   Users and networks don't cleanly split into distinct classes.   And if you don't think that enterprises use SOHO routers, or don't realize that people on SOHO networks need DNS update, I emphatically disagree with that also.

     > It's been awhile, but last time I looked, I couldn't find a single DNS
     > registry that implemented UPDATE.   For better or worse, many organizations
     > (some large ones) use godaddy or similar services for their public-facing
     > DNS.

Lots of dumb people out there :-)
can't disagree with that, but we might disagree about where they are.
Many enterprises use primary DNS providers that expect a stealth primary and
use AXFR.   Most could support UPDATE if the customer asked for it, I think.
(I worked for one for a year)

Yes, and that works.  But it's naive and unrealistic to expect everyone who manages a DNS zone to operate it that way, or to assume that the other zones don't need UPDATE.

Keith