Re: (internal) DNS dysfunction is enterprise settings

On Sat, Mar 09, 2019 at 09:35:51AM -0500, Keith Moore wrote:
> On 3/8/19 2:55 PM, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
>
> > The problem isn't DNS, it is that we lack a broadly applicable
> > technology that most organizations can use to expose fine-grained
> > access control for configuration data.
>
> That's an interesting observation and a constructive suggestion.   I don't
> think it addresses the entire problem, but it definitely takes a stab at
> part of it.  [...]

Self-service tooling *requires* fine-grained authorization.

No fine-grained authz -> no self-service tooling -> users must call for help.

The secret to (sys)admin. cost reduction is self-service tooling.

Now, it's hard for an RFC to say much about how authz is done in the
backend, even when using protocols like OAuth.

But without a widely used (and copied) authz system, we'll get nowhere.

Each organization / vendor is an island with their own [expensive]
tooling.

> Beyond those issues, I observe that many small networks don't bother with
> DNS because it's not understood and/or seen as too much trouble.  [...]

Everything has to be turn-key that can be.  And everything has to have
self-service tooling.  This requires a comprehensive authz technology.

As it happens, I hope to publish a paper on this topic soon, describing
a candidate authz system into which I've sunk much of the past few years
of my work.  (Hopefully my client will open source much of it.)  I need
a decent venue for this paper, preferably one w/o a pay-wall.
Suggestions welcomed.

Nico