Re: Adi Shamir denied entry to the US

On 8 Mar 2019, at 15:44, Ted Lemon <mellon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mar 8, 2019, at 3:26 AM, Eliot Lear <lear@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
We have had government officials offer consular guidance and assistance in the past.  What I would suggest is that anyone who believes they are going to have entry problems for one of our meetings let Portia know.

We’ve also seen cases in the U.S. of people being denied entry capriciously, at the last minute.   The way in which entry is denied should probably also be taken into account: a country that denies entry after approving it, at the last minute, is not a great candidate for an international meeting.

Again, while I am certain of this having happened, I am equally certain it has happened in a great many countries, and I am quite uncertain as to how it has impacted the IETF.  It’s important for Portia to know when someone has been turned away.

Eliot