Re: Adi Shamir denied entry to the US

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carsten Bormann" <cabo@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, March 08, 2019 6:35 AM

On Mar 8, 2019, at 07:20, John Levine <johnl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> If Adi can't get a visa, who can?
>
> During a government shutdown, probably nobody.

But that’s the point: We don’t want to choose venues in countries that
are unstable.

(Re the Brexit comment: Unfortunately, the UK is now also entering an
unstable phase.)

<tp>

An interesting report in the papers today was that going from an EU
country to another can require a passport valid only until date of
departure whereas coming from outside the EU the requirement can be to
have several months validity remaining after the expected date of
departure; which has just entered the collective consciousness which in
turn has caused a sharp rise in applications for passport renewals which
caused the passsport renewal server to crash.  Yes, unstable (if
entirely foreseable).

More generally, things happen and we can never be sure that everyone who
wants to will be able to attend an IETF meeting; it is a question of
best efforts, keeping track of the failures that occur and making
informed decisions..

Tom Petch

Grüße, Carsten