Re: [Recentattendees] [104all] Further Clarification Re: IETF 104 Preliminary Agenda

Kyle Rose <krose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > It really seems like we're trying to stuff too much into 5 days. (When you
    > have 5 lbs of manure and a 4 lbs bag...) Were side meetings in the
    > mornings,

Yes, that's true.

    > evenings, or during slots without important sessions not working? Are there
    > groups that really are too busy to skip less important sessions in favor of
    > collaborative side work? (E.g., there are WGs I *like* to attend, but

Yes.  Don't forget a bunch of other things that occur:
  * nomcom (March meeting... selecting a new chair, who might want to chat
           with previous chairs... )
  * talking to and selecting new chairs, document authors, etc.
  * talking to new Area Directors

Breakfast meetings have already eated up all the mgmt-type people.
Our lunch hours are already full of various talks and briefings, to the point
that I basically bring a protein bar, and eat a bigger breakfast.

    > when it
    > conflicts with some work I *need* to do, I know where I'm going to be. These
    > 3 weeks per year are precious, and with every session being recorded,
    > anything I'm passively consuming gets watched later.) It's not like the
    > entire IETF needs to collaborate in the same place at the same time, so I'm
    > skeptical of the need for slots dedicated to unstructured work.

If not for the side meetings, and attending the meetings that I *like* to
attend, we wouldn't really need to have in-person meetings three times a
year.  Everything could be accomplished with virtual-interim meetings of the
core people involved (doing the work).

The reason the in-person meetings are valuable is because
* they allow new people to become "core" people
* they allow cross-WG issues (and commonalitities) to be discovered and
worked upon.
* they provide enough bandwidth to discuss new work (both side-meetings,
  and BarBOFs, and actual BOFs)

The thing that has occured is that we actually are now too busy to
attend things we *like* while still having some unstructured time.
That's why the Wednesday afternoon experiment.
Unstructured time is really really really important, because it is
essentially what we can't do online.
In particular, this includes just hanging out at the bar/cafe/lounge/etc.
and *overhearing* a conversation that turns out to be relevant.
I'd hazard that 80% of really relevant new work comes from this.

I keep suggesting more 1-hr slots, with the option to ask for three of them,
but this schedule is full of 2-hr slots.  It doesn't work for gong-shows
like 6man and secdispatch and the like, but for many other groups, I think
that there should be more virtual interims.  This is already happening.

]     mcr@xxxxxxxxxxxx  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [