Re: /.well-known (RFC5785) vs versioned APIs [and EST/RFC7030]

I think putting the version into the URL path is wrong, though that is what is done 99.5% of the time.

Many years ago, I designed a versioned REST API whereby the versioning was implemented via
media-types.  Everything was an object, and objects had versions.  Backwards compatibility was
supported by the server maintaining support for a few versions back of each kind of object.  Each
time the server interacted with the client, it would up/down-convert to/from "current" as needed.
Through HATEOAS, clients passing an Accept type for newer version objects, would automatically
get all the appropriate rel links for it.  We shipped a product for a few years using this approach.
There were many debates, but it seemed popular with the team, especially as releases only had
to support a few new object-versions, as opposed to a whole new API version root.

FWIW.

Kent