Re: sr.ht --- "sir hat" --- alternatives to Github

On 1/22/2019 7:20 PM, Richard Barnes wrote:

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 6:32 PM Hector Santos
<hsantos=40isdg.net@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:40isdg.net@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
wrote:

    My opinion.

    My only concern is the perception that the IETF is now "requiring" to
    learn a new suite of 3rd party tools for a single purpose - RFC Draft
    submissions publishing.

We already ask people to learn tools!  Have you tried working with a
newcomer through the arcana of xml2rfc?

I didn't but long ago I had to roll up my sleeves to finally get it setup as a tool for the drafts I wrote. My only point, at this point in time, at the application level, it should be available as an editor at ietf.org, but online and offline. Higher Bandwidth and Web 3.0 allows for it.

If GitHub is going to be a new tool WG participants need to learn, then write it up. I guess I have to get use to writing README.MD files. <g>

On the contrary, when I've been working with newcomer coauthors on a
draft in GitHub, and I mention making a new I-D, they're like "Why do
we need to make a special version for IETF?"

To Michael's point, this doesn't advocate for GitHub in particular.
But clearly wherever possible, we should prefer the tools that
contributors know.  That's how we get the bottom-up contributions
we're supposed to value in this organization.

Of course.

 Personally, my
experience is that the people who are contributing to the stuff I'm
working on know GitHub.

Well, its the "thing" for now.  That's good, it should be written up.

I always felt the IETF was 3rd party independent. The big elephant in the room is no longer a surprise. Git is a common cvs now and GitHUB is the current go-to service.

In a write up, can we do our own GIT server with IETF publishing or some other servers? Maybe we can design a protocol that is improvement over GitHub, but I suppose the big productivity improvement is the GutHub GUI.

Let's point out, GitHUB is free when your drafts are public storage. It is not free if you desire a private repository. I don't want my early non-public drafts appearing in GitHUb Public Repositories. So it is a separate storage -- Local and GitHub. Git in general allows for this peer to peer, peer to server, operation.

Anyway, now I have to find this new list and sign up to learn IETF GitHub operations. :) Here is the subscription page URL: