Re: Whether to left-justify or center the display of Internet Drafts in a browser window

Hi Ben,

On 2018-11-30 20:33, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 01:26:56PM -0500, Andrew G. Malis wrote:
>> A recent change to the tools page html-ized versions of Internet Drafts now
>> has them centered in the browser window. See, for example,
>> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-xu-mpls-sr-over-ip-01
>>
>> However, other views of drafts continue to be left-justified in the browser
>> window. See, for example:
>> https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-xu-mpls-sr-over-ip-01.txt and
>> https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-xu-mpls-sr-over-ip-01.html
>>
>> I corresponded with Henrik about this change, and he said that it was at a
>> user's request, and my complaint is the first he's received.
>>
>> I myself much prefer the previous behavior, having all three views
>> left-justified in the window.
>>
>> At the very least, all three views should be consistent.
>>
>> So this email is an attempt to find a consensus on how to display drafts in
>> a browser window, left-justified or centered, and whether all of the views
>> should be consistent.
>
> My small change: I was unpleasantly surprised by the change when it
> happened, but am confident that I can adapt to either just fine, provided
> that the copy/paste issues at [1] get addressed somehow.

I sent a reply to you regarding this on 2018-11-16 22:57 CET, asking you
to try out a tentative solution.  I understand from what you write below
that it probably didn't reach you, either.  In that message I pointed at
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-levkowetz-xml2rfc-v3-implementation-notes-05
and asked you to check whether it worked for you, but the change I introduced
to address the copy/paste issue should be live for any recently htmlized
documents by now.

> And I second Adrian's thanks to Henrik and the team for all they do!

Thanks :-)

> -Ben
>
> [1] https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/tools-discuss/EF5z55NuS4-MNr9ErYPhDv03Ml4
>
> I suppose I should have followed up on why Henrik's reply never actually
> made it to my INBOX, but (1) it's surely too late for logs to still be
> around, and (2) I'm more inclined to blame MIT's systems than the IETF's
> anyway.  (For Henrik's benefit, I'm using both Chrome and Firefox on
> linux.)

Ok.  I'll re-send my latest and check my logs, to see how MIT answers my
server (also linux).

Best regards,

	Henrik