Re: The Friday Experiment

I'd encourage the IESG to consider a similar approach but
never on the last day of the meeting. My suggestion is to
have one or more of Tue/Wed/Thu mornings with no (or few)
WG sessions scheduled.

+1

As one of the few in this thread who seemed to have actually stayed through Friday (after 10 days in Asia BTW) and attended some of these meetings, I wouldn’t call the experiment a failure.

It required some coordination between groups, resulting in a nice stream of discussion of new ideas in a reasonably well-scoped context. Not sure we would have achieved that just on the side of the normal schedule.

I agree that Friday may not be the best day.

On that topic: Since we are now starting on Saturday (which seems to be useful), the IETF is often killing two weekends for at least some of us. With different company policies for (not) compensating for weekend-travel/work, this could be a problem from a family-friendliness perspective.

Have we considered to have the meetings go from Wed to Wed (or Thurs to Thurs)? It would allow people to avoid weekend travel (plus shift the flights to less popular days, thus reducing cost and increasing upgrade probabilities).

Surely, we will soon find reasons to fill the Mondays/Tuesdays before and the days after, but maybe still worth considering…

Cheers,
Dirk

Cheers,
S.

PS: As a data point, I booked a flight home departing on
Friday morning. That precluded taking part in Friday fun.
Given the probabilities, I'd pick being home over maybe
having a good Friday meeting every time.

Cheers,
Andy