Re: Challenges with Jabber clients - Re: Plenary questions

Several comments from the perspective of someone who is remote
at most IETF meetings these days but often has a lot of comments
and questions....

--On Thursday, November 8, 2018 08:29 +0100 Mikael Abrahamsson
<swmike@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I just use the Meetecho recording page. Yes, I need to watch
> the stream even if I do not need it (because I am in the
> physical room), but I do get a combined view of chat room,
> live video feed, and slides in my browser without needing to
> install any other software or having an account anywhere.

This certainly works.  However, at least for those of us with
significant available screen real estate when working remotely,
it has two disadvantages.

(i) If one does want to watch the panel with the slides and the
speaker stream, there is a certain amount of nuisance switching
back and forth required that makes it hard to keep track of the
chat activity as well.   It is much easier if the latter is in a
completely separate window that can be positioned as needed.
But that requires a Jabber client that is not embedded in a web
browser, much less in Meetecho, unless one wants to run two
separate browser windows.

(ii) The input window is tiny (one line and narrow), making
typing a question or comment more complicated than "well, the
room isn't too cold where I am" or "Joe Bloggs at mic" and
proofreading it without sending much more complex and
time-consuming than it should be.  I have given up: I compose
non-trivial remarks and questions in a text editor, check them,
and then paste them into Meetecho and send them.  Still not
optimal.

Neither of those issues is particularly relevant to someone
monitoring Jabber in the meeting room as distinct from (a subset
of) those of us was are working remotely.  (The Meetecho team
knows how I feel about these things and I understand why fixing
them within Meetecho is probably not the right solution.)

> When I am a jabber scribe, I type into the chat room the name
> of the person speaking at the mic as people walk up to the mic
> (I read their badge (PLEASE PEOPLE, HAVE YOUR BADGES EASILY
> READIBLE!), and this means together with the audio, video and
> slides, people speaking into the mic are identified by name
> and the note taker can use this to make sure the notes are
> correct).

Dan and several others do this as well.   It may not have been
said publicly before, but it is hugely helpful and not just for
note takers.  For those of us who are remote, being able to know
who is speaking is very important -- it provides context for
those of us who have been around for a while and may help
newcomers (in person as well as remote) get to know the
community.  While people are supposed to announce their names,
many forget and even more, who know their own names and are
anxious to get on with their comments, tend to go to the
microphone and quickly mumble something entirely unintelligible
to those listening remotely and trying to simultaneously listen
to (not always perfect) audio and track Jabber and the slides.
Video rarely helps much either, as, in most WGs, the Meetecho
camera almost always stays pointed at the front of the room
(main microphone or chair's table).  (Not the fault of the
Meetecho team -- there are no solutions that that problem which
generalize and are optimal at least unless we are willing to go
to the considerable additional cost --in people, rather than
technology-- of running two cameras and possibly having both
feed to the client screen).  So, much of the time, "XYZ at mic"
is our only real clue about who is speaking.

> I also start each session by stating that I am the jabber
> scribe and that people who want things relayed to the mic
> should preface their statement with "to mic:". This has worked
> well for me and the sessions I jabber scribe.

Oddly, it has also been a source of confusion.

<small diversion>
It seems to have not been publicized as well as the Meetecho
team and apparently the IESG thought it was, but there are now
two ways for a remote participant to inject a comment or
participate in a discussion.  One, as we know, is to go through
Jabber and use "to mic:" or "MIC:".  The other is to use
Meetecho's "remote queue" facility, which actually gets the
remote participant into a queue analogous the the microphone
line(s) (Anyone who is reading this who doesn't know, look for
the little hand next to your name above the participant panel.)
WHen it is feasible to use, it has at least three advantages
over typing a comment into Jabber: (i) It doesn't require typing
before making the request to be heard or then waiting for
someone to get in the back of the mic line, which lowers the
odds that the discussion will have moved on to something else
before the comment is heard.   (ii) If one is actually trying to
participate in a discussion, being "live" on audio and video
allows interactions much more like standing at a floor
microphone and using a human relay for typed text.  And (iii)
Meetecho notifies the WG Chairs directly (and apparently makes
noise, rather than requiring active monitoring) when there is
someone in queue.   Comments from IESG members (and especially
Alissa) seem to imply that the remote queue mechanism is not
only their preferred choice but that they think most people have
switched to it rather than using Jabber.

The bad news is that, at least from my experience, the facility
is still in need of considerable tuning, not in how Meetecho
works but in how WG Chairs and equivalent handle it.  More
training needed and all that.

At the same time, I think we need to keep Jabber and keep it
working for remote input until we discover an equivalent
solution.  The remote queue arrangements don't work for anyone
who is in a location where their talking to the the computer or
running video input would be disruptive or violate local rules.
Sending audio and video from the client requires significantly
more high-quality bandwidth than simply receiving Meetecho and
occasionally typing a few lines into Jabber, and some IETF
participants may not have that all of the time (or ever).
People who feel uncertain about their English may be more
comfortable typing and proofreading than speaking (although my
preference would be to convince them that we are less fierce
than we often appear and that, if they speak slowly and clearly,
we will happily adjust).  And some comments may be brief and
self-contained enough that opening up an A/V feed from the
client would be rather high overhead.   There may be other
reasons in particular WGs or other sessions, including the
observation that Jabber input makes a record of the question
even if it is not repeated at room microphone while a request to
get in the remote queue leaves few tracks if the chair doesn't
turn microphone of the person making the request on.
</small diversion>

When I've seen something equivalent to "if you want something
repeated in the room, start it with 'to mic:'", I take it to
mean "Jabber input is preferred in this session to use of remote
queues".  Maybe that will go away over time as we all get used
to the remote queue facility but, for the near term, I'd much
prefer to see something more like "if you have input for the
room and don't find the remote queue facility convenient, type
your message into Jabber and preface it with 'MIC:'"

> I also recommend that the chairs in sessions monitor the
> jabber room. Some do already, but I recommend everybody to do
> so.

Good idea but, especially for very controversial discussions and
plenaries, may not be realistic.

best,
   john