Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-iasa2-trust-update-00.txt> (Update to the Selection of Trustees for the IETF Trust) to Best Current Practice

Howdy,

On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 9:59 PM, S Moonesamy <sm+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I don't think so, as it is the "why", where this document is intended to be narrowly scoped to how.  An informative reference makes sense, and it has already been suggested.

It might be useful to publish the "why" if the RFCs are viewed as part of an archival series.

Several other folks have agreed on this point, and I believe the current theory is to publish the rationale document as informational.  There are some small text changes which need to be make that happen.

This document doesn't update BCP 10, so I believe your change has to be directed there, not at this document.

The WG charter states that existing IETF and IAB appointments are out of scope.  As the draft specifies new appointments, I presume that matters related to appointments are included as part of this Last Call.  The IETF rules regarding recalls are specified in this draft by reference.  Is it fair that IETF rules with respect to the recall of IETF Trustees be unavailable to roughly one third of the IETF?  That is the question which the IESG may have to give some thought to.

As a comment about BCP 10, a side effect of removing
the re
quirement that trustees be drawn from the members of the IAOC is that BCP 10 would no longer be applicable given that the document does not say anything about IETF trustees.  That also removes an ineligibility requirement which is currently applicable to an IETF trustee given that the that "IETF rules" are ambiguous.

BCP 10 is about the "Operation of the Nominating and Recall Committees", as its sub-heading notes.  This document adds a new set of tasks to the NomCom (the direct selection of three of the Trustees) as an update to the former indirect selection, but it doesn't update the operation of the NomCom or Recall committees..  I personally believe that's the right way to do this and that any update in the operation of the committees should be in a separate document.  You are correct, of course, that the IESG will have to judge both the community consensus and impact of this choice.

regards,

Ted Hardie

Regards,
S. Moonesamy