Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-iasa2-trust-update-00.txt> (Update to the Selection of Trustees for the IETF Trust) to Best Current Practice

Howdy,

On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 10:40 AM, S Moonesamy <sm+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Jari, Ted,
At 02:18 PM 21-09-2018, The IESG wrote:
The IESG has received a request from the IETF Administrative Support Activity
2 WG (iasa2) to consider the following document: - 'Update to the Selection
of Trustees for the IETF Trust'
  <draft-ietf-iasa2-trust-update-00.txt> as Best Current Practice

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the

It took me some to understand out what this memo updates as the draft does not reference the sections of the previous RFCs which are being updated.  I suggest clarifying that in the draft.

Thanks for the review.  The issue here is that RFC 4071 and RFC 4371 will be obsolete at the end of the IASA 2.0 process, and the aim is to make the process listed here complete without needing to read the previous iterations of BCP 101.   If the document didn't reference the previous document at all, do you think it is clear how the Trustees are selected?

Shouldn't draft-ietf-iasa2-trust-rationale-00 be a normative reference?

I don't think so, as it is the "why", where this document is intended to be narrowly scoped to how.  An informative reference makes sense, and it has already been suggested.

The draft states that IETF rules regarding recalls will be applicable for this new selection process.  I gather that the authors of this draft are aware that a significant  [1] number of IETF participants who participate remotely.  A person within that group is systematically disqualified from participating in a recall petition.  I unfortunately have to raise an objection to the inclusion of the last paragraph in Section 2.

This document doesn't update BCP 10, so I believe your change has to be directed there, not at this document.

regards,

Ted

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

1. The number of registered remote participants for IETF 102 was 547.