Re: AD Time

On Sun, Jul 29, 2018 at 7:16 PM Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 30/07/2018 09:29, Alia Atlas wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 29, 2018 at 4:32 PM Brian E Carpenter <
> brian..e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> area)
>> perceived
>>>>

>>> I had to pull together a presentation the first time my name was in the
>>> hat, so I could try to dig it up.  Stephen & I regularly offered to speak
>>> with management and did a few times. I also asked colleagues to write a
>>> letter about annually as my management had very little insight into what
>>> was doing and this helped quite a bit once in the role.
>>
>> I doubt that a one-size-fits-all business case can be written. I had
>> to convince two very different managements (a non-commercial scientific
>> research lab, and a major IT vendor) to fund participation in IETF
>> roles, and the arguments I had to use were utterly different in the
>> two cases.
>>

> That's a perfect being the enemy of the good enough argument.
> Start with 1-3 business case for a common set ; see how useful they are and
> add more as needed.

I didn't mean that we should do nothing. I think we could pull together
a set of what are called "talking points" in management-speak, but each
potential AD (or IAB member, or WG chair...) would have to build their own
argument according to its audience.

I definitely think that a boilerplate business case would be ill
advised; the wording needs to be adapted to the individual situation.

Of course - starting with talking points makes sense.

Regards,
Alia

    Brian