Re: AD Time

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 12:44:54PM -0400, Ted Lemon wrote:
> The thing is, AD is a job.   Do we want the job to be done well, or not?
>  If we want it to be done well, why is it a volunteer position?

The problem is that making it to be a job where the employer is a
non-profit isn't necessarily a much better option.  (Not that many
top-notch engineers would be interested in taking a long-term job with
a non-profit who almost certainly can't pay as well as a Hi-Tech
for-profit corporation, and which by definition can't offer equity
compensation.)

So effectively either it needs to be:

* A volunteer position which can only really be staffed by someone
  whose employer is willing to let them work on it as a full-time job.
  (This tends to bias the IETF leadership to towards employee of large
  firms like Cisco, Microsoft, etc.)

* A volunteer position structured so it really can be run by someone
  holding down a full-time job (where multiple other volunteers are
  helping the volunteer AD).

* A paid full-time job for someone who is willing to work for a
  non-profit organization, and who is willing to resign from what is
  almost certainly a much better paid position to take on a "Public
  Service" role.

These choices all have trade-offs.  So there is no one obvious right
answer.

					- Ted