Re: AD Time

On Sun, Jul 29, 2018 at 03:29:11PM -0400, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> If you are saying that it would be an option (so either their current
> employer could choose to keep them on their payroll, and allow them to
> continue to accrue equity compesantion), *OR* the IETF would somehow
> find the salary for the AD, somehow, then that would avoid decreasin
> the slate of people willing to stand for selection by Nomcom

Right.

> but that transfers the burden to the organization that needs to be able
> to find the salary for the AD if it turns out to be necessary.  It's hard
> to raise money when it's not clear whether or not it's needed.
> Especially if it turns out if the answer is trying to hold out a tin
> cup and beg for donations (sorry, sponsorships).

Sure. I have not seen anyone here chime in what amount of funding
would even be possible, so this is right now a pretty hollow discussion.

Once there are other funding options offered through the IETF than
employer it certainly would be important to keep employers who can
fund their employee still interested to do so. For example by counting
AD time from the employer as an IETF sponsership.

> Or what other alternative did you have in mind for finding the $$$ to
> pay for a full-time AD's salary?  I hope you're not proposing that the
> IETF start charging hundreds or thousands of dollars for
> fourth-generation xerox copies, ala what was needed to get a hold of a
> (legal) copy of the ASN.1 spec from ANSI....

Doubling the prices on > PG13 .org domains should suffice.

Cheers
   Toerless