Re: AD Time

Anyone willing to respond,

A question and a few comments.

<< Question >>

 If given such a choice, it would be interesting to know if the community would prefer a candidate whom may have more time (say 100%) to spend on the AD role but may be less qualifed or a candidate whom may have less time (say 50%) but may be more qualifed.  What’s more important?  Doing less work with higher potential quality, or more work with more moderate quality ?

I suspect there would be many opinions here, but it would be interesting to see what people think about that.   In my mind, if quality is the most important attribute then we do need to sort out how to lower the workload to match a lower time profile to ensure we focus on that and attract more candidates with potentially more time constraints.

<< Commnets >>

I have no religion on the matter of paid vs. Unpaid AD roles, but what’s apparent to me is that the trend of getting enough qualified candidates is a challenge (seems to be a longstanding issue).  I would say using historical modes of operation (say 10 years, ago, longer perhaps) is a good data point, but we should not rely on that to best understand what is needed now (we need new ideas, not just protection of old ones).   It’s possible ADs have historically been able to execute the roles in a traditional manner of employer supported volunteer mode (100% time for IETF paid for by employer) but this general model may not last forever..  We can try accept that as a potential trend, or we can ignore it.

Even though many key larger companies have supported candidates to spend most/all of their time in volunteer roles, times change and so do economics.  I have seen more then one company pull back from traditional support (in terms of full time employees whom spend a lot of time at the IETF) due to changes in leadership, economics and other factors.  Such trends can only be observed and reacted to by us, not controlled.   Again, I am not saying the old model will not work, but continuing to insist that it worked in the past, may be a poor way of planning for the future.

The other item that continues to weigh on my mind is the need for potentially good candidates needing to “sell” their value to a company to support such initiatives.  Some (maybe most?) of the historical candidates may have been able to do this successfully, but that also may have been opportunistic as companies may have had leadership which already recognized the value - so the sales function internally was not that hard.  As we move forward, if companies shift focus or leadership changes, we may have many potential candidates who may not have the opportunity/ability to sell the opportunity inside their company, therefore we as a community will miss out on some good candidates.

What I see in our industry is a fundamental change to the power/position of many traditional corporate sponsors who have supported folks in the IETF.   These companies will likely continue to see competition, which impacts profits which impact money directed to positions that support candidates ability to do full time industry roles (like ADs at the IETF).   This shift will change at least some of our historical approach to finding candidates who will be supported by their companies.   I think this is not a trivial issue to be overlooked.

Regards,

Victor K