Re: humour area reviewers and IESG members

--On Thursday, June 28, 2018 18:33 +1200 Brian E Carpenter
<brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Just in case Lloyd missed the most obvious unwritten rule,
> I-Ds intended to be April 1st RFCs are *never* posted as I-Ds.
>
> (Actually, that might even be a written rule.)
>
> Another important unwritten rule is: start early. Great ideas
> invented in mid-March rarely make it through the unwritten
> process.

Brian,

I'd argue that another unwritten rule, and part of the point I
was trying to make, was that the RFC Editor can make exceptions
to the rules when that is appropriate.  That has always been
true of many editorial rule (written and unwritten) as well as
to the rules affecting April 1 RFCs.  I wouldn't dream of trying
to micormanage the RFC Editor by committee, but I would think
such an exception might be appropriate in the case of the
document I suggested Lloyd should write, especially if he can
get an I-D posted now to make it not only a very early (as you
suggest) candidate for next April but a useful contribution to
the current discussion about changes to the RFC Series.

Because the April 1 documents are usually considered part of the
Series but not part of any particular stream, it is not clear
how the proposed changes would affect them.  I do suggest that
giving them separate names and numbers would vastly weaken their
effects (I note that the "avian carrier" documents have
sometimes been mistaken for Internet Standards too).

best,
   john

On 28/06/2018 17:32, John C Klensin wrote:

> --On Thursday, June 28, 2018 01:39 +0000 Lloyd Wood
> <eclipticplane2002=40yahoo.co.uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> on a related note, we need an established April Fools
>> workgroup with a published charter and clear path for draft
>> adoption and RFC publication.

>> jokes are funnier once they've been workshopped...
>
> Lloyd, I disagree.  I think most jokes, especially the sort of
> complex ones that have tended to appear in the April 1
subseries