Re: Possible BofF question -- I18n

As an ignoramus on these matters, I've been keeping quiet, but...
On 01/06/2018 16:03, Nico Williams wrote:
> On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 09:31:45PM +0200, Patrik Fältström wrote:
>> On 31 May 2018, at 19:22, Nico Williams wrote:
>>
>>> Certainly, in the context of Internet protocols, the IETF is the place to do I18N work.  Can there be any doubt?
>>
>> From my personal view, a crystal clear "NO" (part from coordination
>> with W3C of course).

I really don't understand how that can be true for protocols that
are developed or maintained in the IETF, that are of no interest to
the W3C, and require some sensible handling of I18N issues. To my mind
that certainly includes any protocol that involves text strings of
interest to humans, including names of interest to humans.

>> But that is something I think IETF should ask itself and decide that
>> is the case, and act accordingly. Whatever that means. If I knew, I
>> would say...
>
> Who else will do I18N work on Internet protocols?  Either we give them
> to other SDOs or we do the work.

Exactly. And the PRECIS work made it clear to me that a simple sprinkling
of pixie dust is not enough. I think John is quite right to ring the alarm
bell.

We did a tutorial 8 IETFs ago:
https://www.ietf.org/about/participate/tutorials/technical/precis-i18n/

Since then?