Re: Possible BofF question -- I18n (was: Re: Possible OBF question -- I18n)

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 08:27:20AM +0200, Patrik Fältström wrote:
> The serious question here is if IETF do have enough competence in I18N
> space or if IETF should drop that ball and give to some other SDO.

Does anyone else?!

Certainly, in the context of Internet protocols, the IETF is the place
to do I18N work.  Can there be any doubt?

I mean, no SDO has more competence than the Unicode Consortium when it
comes to dealing with core Unicode issues alone.

But there are protocol issues in the I18N and L10N spaces where the IETF
has the most competence, IMO.

In any case, if the proposal is to do I18N work on protocols that are
not Internet protocols, then I would say: no.  Bring those protocols
into the IETF or leave them out -- that's the only choice there, but if
we bring them in then we must also do any necessary I18N work on them.

Lack of expertise is not a problem: we can develop it, and we can seek
out external review.

Besides, the IETF has lots of I18N expertise on hand.  Perhaps the IETF
has no energy to do I18N work, but that's another story.

Nico