Re: [tram] Genart telechat review of draft-ietf-tram-stunbis-16

Marc Petit-Huguenin <petithug@xxxxxxx> writes:
>>    To do that, it follows the
>>    identification procedures defined in [RFC6125], with a certificate
>>    containing an identifier of type DNS-ID or CN-ID, eventually with
>>    wildcards, but not of type SRV-ID or URI-ID.
>>
>> The meaning of "eventually" here is not clear.
>
> Rephrased as:
>
>    [...]
>    containing an identifier of type DNS-ID or CN-ID, eventually with a
>    wildcard character as leftmost label, but not of type SRV-ID or URI-
>    [...]

I have some doubt about the use of "eventually" here.  As I use it,
"eventually" means that the thing will happen at some unspecified time
in the future.  Wiktionary gives this meaning also.  But I looked
"eventually" up in my paper dictionary, and it also has the meaning
"dependent on circumstance; contingent".

In this context, I do not see how the meaning about unspecified future
time works.  But perhaps you mean that having a wildcard character as
leftmost label is contingent?  That meaning works.  But in that case, I
would find "optionally" to be clearer.  (And Google Translate says that
"éventuellement" can be translated into English as either "eventually"
or "optionally", although it provides "facultativement" as the first
translation into French of "optionally".)

You may wish to consult the RFC Editor about this.

Dale