Re: Integrity of mail systems (was Re: Enabling DMARC workaround code for all IETF/IRTF mailing lists)

John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:
    > I think the questions are appropriate and hope others will
    > address them.   For my personal reactions, see below but, for
    > those who don't know (I think you do), I've become increasingly
    > concerned in recent years that the IETF is doing work that
    > assumes an Internet that no longer really exists or is making
    > decisions that are unrealistic given external and operational
    > changes.

I think that our great tradition is to lead the industry with asperational
Draft Standards, and then to document reality in trailing Internet Standards.

We *have* been slow on the second part, because it's hard to get that kind of
work paid for.    (That's one of the things I want to tell ISOC in June)

    > I also think it has gotten very hard to talk
    > constructively about tradeoffs and compromises in the IETF, with
    > far too many strategic decisions made either on the basis of
    > "several large vendors (or open source implementations) have
    > done this, so we must (uncritically) adapt" or "X is important,
    > we believe in X, and therefore anything that doesn't support X
    > is evil and should be suppressed or eliminated".  However, I
    > hope my comments below help initiate that discussion rather than
    > leading to defensiveness.

I agree.

]     mcr@xxxxxxxxxxxx  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [