Integrity of mail systems (was Re: Enabling DMARC workaround code for all IETF/IRTF mailing lists)

Hi,

Somewhat in keeping with a cheeky question I asked the IAB at the last
plenary, I want to ask some questions.  These are not actually for
John, though they hang off his message.  The 2d person pronoun is
directed at the reader of this message, not John.

On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 03:05:59PM -0400, John C Klensin wrote:

> nothing in the mail path between what we now call the submission
> server and the final delivery server gets to interpret, much
> less tamper with, the internals of the local part of an address.
> While we have many examples of systems breaking that rule, the
> integrity of the mail systems depends on it in important ways.

Do you think that, given the various ways that this is now actually
violated pretty widely around the Internet, the "integrity of the mail
systems" is already lost?

If so, does that mean that we have a new _de facto_ mail system
emerging?

If so, does that imply that we ought to document it in some
documentation series?

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx