Re: [Mtgvenue] venue features and prices, editor's take on draft-ietf-mtgvenue-iaoc-venue-selection-process

In article <1631e188af8.2772.55b9c0b96417b0a70c4dcaded0d2e1c6@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> you write:
>I don't have an opinion on this one way or the other, but a separate
>meeting block could be another thing to negotiate with hotels. It'd be good
>to decide whether that's Mandatory or Important.

Every time we add another Mandatory or Important feature, we further
limit the number of places that we can go, and we limit our ability to
make tradeoffs when negotiating with hotels.  What that means in
practice is that the hotels cost more.

If people propose a new venue requirement or preference it'd be
helpful to me to hear at the same time how much extra you'd be willing
to pay to have it.  I often get the impression that the number is $0
which suggests that it's really not that important.

In case it's not clear, this isn't about childcare.  I'm as aware as
anyone that some of our most productive IETFers are also young
mothers.  It's about everything on the list.  For a concrete example,
how much is it worth to you to have the IETF network in your hotel
room as well as in the meeting rooms?  My personal number is $0 and I
usually stay at a cheaper hotel or Airbnb down the street.

R's,
John