Re: [Mtgvenue] venue features and prices, editor's take on draft-ietf-mtgvenue-iaoc-venue-selection-process

Sent from my mobile device

> On May 3, 2018, at 8:25 AM, John Levine <johnl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> In article <1631e188af8.2772.55b9c0b96417b0a70c4dcaded0d2e1c6@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> you write:
>> I don't have an opinion on this one way or the other, but a separate
>> meeting block could be another thing to negotiate with hotels. It'd be good
>> to decide whether that's Mandatory or Important.
>
> Every time we add another Mandatory or Important feature, we further
> limit the number of places that we can go, and we limit our ability to
> make tradeoffs when negotiating with hotels.  What that means in
> practice is that the hotels cost more.
>
> If people propose a new venue requirement or preference it'd be
> helpful to me to hear at the same time how much extra you'd be willing
> to pay to have it.  I often get the impression that the number is $0
> which suggests that it's really not that important.
>
> In case it's not clear, this isn't about childcare.  I'm as aware as
> anyone that some of our most productive IETFers are also young
> mothers.  It's about everything on the list.  For a concrete example,
> how much is it worth to you to have the IETF network in your hotel
> room as well as in the meeting rooms?  My personal number is $0 and I
> usually stay at a cheaper hotel or Airbnb down the street.

John,

The cost of bringing your child can be prohibitive to many.  Since I was on the IESG, I didn’t have a choice and had to suck up very large bills.  I switched to using a neighbor that I’ve known for 13 years who could share the room to reduce costs.  This meant I still had to pay the regular nanny on a contract for the week plus the neighbor and this saved me money because of room costs - so we’re talking quite a large expense to individuals if family isn’t coming along.

For a contracted nanny, you need to pay overtime over 40 hours a week at time and a half (that’s totally fair).  You also need to pay for their time while in the air.  That means a week salary for a round trip flight to Asia from the US in addition to hours worked during the trip. Then normal expenses - room, flight, food, any costs associated with outings.

This is not practical for many.  I’ll likely skip Asia meetings going forward as these are personal expenses unless there is a real compelling reason for me to go.  Its also a long time to be away from a young child if you leave them home as I did for Singapore.  Since my son is 2+ now, it’s a choice whether I bring him or he stays home and I’ve been trying to bring him on every other trip.

I hope this helps to better understand the impact here, you do lose people, particularly those not in leadership roles.  Most companies don’t help with these expenses.

I suspect people would be willing to pay a reasonable amount.

Best,
Kathleen