Re: Proposed Photography Policy - Transparency and Leadership

 I certainly have sympathy for people who get a camera shoved in their
 face even when they tell the photographer to stop, but this seems
 to be getting awfully overcomplex in the traditional IETF manner.

Given that a substantial number of conferences have already adopted policies that are congruent with (or more stringent than) the one being proposed, can you clarify how this is "overcomplex in the traditional IETF manner" rather than "catching up to everyone else, albeit somewhat belatedly"?

If it turns out we want a no photography at all policy, or only the contracted photographer, that would be OK. And a no photography if people tell you to stop rule is overdue.

But I'm seeing complex branching tree proposals about who's allowed to object to photgraphy in what contexts, how it's supposed to be signalled, and what to do about it. I'm on the IAOC. If I have a no-photo lanyard or no lanyard (I'm an old nerd with shirt pockets to which one can clip a badge) what happens to the plenary video? Is it OK to pixellate me or do I have to be completely blacked out, or do we not publish that section of the video, or am I on the no-no-photo list or what? These are not questions that I think it's productive to explore.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxxx, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY