Re: [Ext] Re: Last Call: <draft-housley-suite-b-to-historic-03.txt> (Reclassification of Suite B Documents to Historic Status) to Informational RFC

Hiya,

On 22/02/18 18:05, Russ Housley wrote:
> Martin:
>
> We want good algorithms, and we have created a way to get advice on
> algorithms from the CFRG.  The algorithms get published in
> Informational RFCs, and then standards-track RFCs tell how those
> algorithms get used in IETF protocols.  It took us a long time to get
> all of that sorted out and working, which included the ability to
> make downrefs (https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/downref/
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/downref/>).

Fully agree.

> Profiles are completely different.

Fully agree again.

> The Suite-B profiles do not
> define any protocols, protocol options, or algorithms.  Rather the
> profiles reference IETF RFCs and state the options and algorithms
> that must be supported in a particular environment.  That certainly
> improves interoperability in that environment.  I am not aware of an
> IETF MUST statement that was downgraded in these profiles, but I am
> aware of some SHOULD statements that were upgraded to MUST.
>
> Such profiles are necessary, and I think we should make them easy to
> find.  Informational RFCs (perhaps ones that use int Independent
> stream) seem like a good way to make them easy to find.

I'm not sure I agree that suite-b like profiles are needed today.

And if it were solely a matter of profiling the options allowed
for (and widely implemented) in IETF protocols, that'd maybe be ok.
But iirc (and this is from memory) suite-b also called for support
for less commonly implemented protocol options, and also for use of
then rarely-supported, and at the time IPR-unclean, ECC.

I'd be concerned that multiple such profiles from multiple sources
could damage interop, as there's not much chance that different
e.g. national profiles of that kind will end up the same.

So while the ISE route will of course remain an option for authors
of such drafts, I'd argue that discouraging profiles that do the
kind of things done in suite-b is likely a better option. And this
draft seems like a fine opportunity to do that. (If we have consensus
on saying such.)

Don't get me wrong - I don't think suite-b was damaging when it
was done, nor that it was done for anything other than good reasons,
it's just that times have changed.

S.

--
PGP key change time for me.
New-ID 7B172BEA; old-ID 805F8DA2 expires Jan 24 2018.