Re: [Ext] Re: Last Call: <draft-housley-suite-b-to-historic-03.txt> (Reclassification of Suite B Documents to Historic Status) to Informational RFC

Hiya,

On 22/02/18 00:44, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> On Feb 21, 2018, at 4:18 PM, Martin Thomson
> <martin.thomson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 11:08 AM, Stephen Farrell
>> <stephen.farrell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> If the suite-b term is outmoded, and if there's utility in some
>>> RFC to document that, then I would argue that we ought only do
>>> that in a way that does not open doors for yet more national
>>> suites
>>
>> I think that Stephen is on to something here.  I think that it
>> would be worthwhile acknowledging this point explicitly in this
>> document. "In the past, the IETF published country-specific
>> cryptographic algorithms and profiles.  This practice is no longer
>> considered to be good for interoperability."  As a new paragraph in
>> Section 1 or 2.
>
> In what way is publishing Informational RFCs that specify
> country-specific cryptographic algorithms *not* considered to be good
> for interoperability?

I tried to distinguish algorithms and suites in my mail. I like
Martin's proposed text, except in that it confuses those.

For algorithms like AES etc it is possible, and is in fact the
case, that the broad swathe of academic cryptographers are fine
with AES and we know how to deal with other algorithms to get to
a position where we (the IETF) give 'em a thumbs up or down. That
could become the case for one of the Chinese algorithms that are
recently appearing as I-Ds or yet another one from DJB or a sarkky
one from Peter Gutmann or whomever.

Such was never, and could never, be the case with suite-b as
that particular set of choices was only really of use to folks
who were selling to the US gov or to people who were happy to
follow what the US gov wanted as a customer. For suites, there
aren't really useful objective metrics we can judge, as there
can be with algorithms. (Even if the latter aren't entirely
formal.) So such suites become a kind of end-run around our
process, even when well-intended. That'd be as true of nation
state defined suites as it would of industry-specific ones.

Now that we actually do use all this crypto stuff in reality and
not just in theory, I think IETF RFCs for nation-state specific
things like suite-b are in fact dangerous for interop. A decade
ago, that didn't really matter much, but today I think it does,
as there is a significant danger that such things become
mandatory to use for people in some parts of the Internet. And of
course, almost any difference at all between such suites means
breaking interop and once two people in different rooms (or even
the same person a few weeks apart) define full-on suites like
these, they'll end up with some interop-breaking differences.

Cheers,
S.

--
PGP key change time for me.
New-ID 7B172BEA; old-ID 805F8DA2 expires Jan 24 2018.